We asked one of our photographers Lauren this week what her number one tip would be to women planning a boudoir shoot. Her answer: Do not discount the wonder of an amazing pair of heels to go along with your outfits.
For those who already dabble in shoe collecting or maybe even identify as having a “shoe problem”, you already are a step ahead of the game. For those who are more conservative with their shoe habits, consider this: have you ever slipped on a pair of heels and went, “Wow, my butt looks better” and, “Who knew my legs could look this long?” but then instantly thought, “Oh man, how am I going to wear these for more than 10 minutes?” Maybe this has turned you off to heels. Maybe you think heels are just “not your style”. But, think back to that first part – your butt looks perkier, your legs look longer – isn’t making all your assets look their best an important factor in your boudoir shoot? Not to mention, you really won’t have to BE in those incredibly impractical but completely fabulous heels for more than a few minutes anyway during your shoot. And what is the harm in having a spare pair of slightly unnecessary heels that you can slip on every once in a while for a special occasion or just to feel glamorous? Having a boudoir shoot done has a certain element of fantasy to it – we are bringing out the natural beauty you already have, but you are slightly playing the part of a sultry vixen (at least for an hour or so). If you are really set against not owning a pair yourself, ask around for friends that have the same size as you for a pair or two you can borrow just for your shoot. We promise it will pay off in your final images, and who doesn’t feel a little confident boost while parading around in sexy heels?
We have put together a small list of don’ts to consider when picking out your heels, however, because not all heels are created equal.
What to avoid when picking heels for a boudoir shoot:
- Wedges (trust us on this, it doesn’t work!)
- Heels shorter than 3″ high (kitten heels might as well scream “sensible”)
- Open toed heels with stockings
- Mismatching colors (for example, red heels with a pink outfit)
- Booties (this will just cut down your leg length)
- Mary-Janes or ankle straps (ditto on cutting down the leg length)
So, what does work?
- A classic pump is your best bet. When in doubt, get a black pair – they will go with everything!
- Nude heels will make your legs look sky-high.
- Heels adorned with glitter or rhinestones will create an awesome, sparkly effect to your images.
- Go for a pop of color! Black lingerie looks stunning when your shoes have a color pop like red or pink.